Friday, May 25, 2018

Ending My Re-Editing Project Early; Amazons Copyright Team Has Some... Quirks

Alright everyone the weather is finally summer-esque so it's time for a re-editing project update!

The update is that I am going to complete two more works and then shelf the project indefinitely with respect to all works I didn't personally author. For those works the new editions will run alongside the old ones for some time.

Why? It isn't like it's hard to skim over a text I already proofread and corrected, since all I need to do is correct it once its new font and format are done, then make a new cover since the early editions weren't up to my new standards. Since the payoff is so high (I can lower the cost and improve the product, which likely means more readership- a win win for everyone) and the effort fairly low (I can re-edit a text every day, and could re-edit all of them by mid June) why would I end the project?

The answer is Amazons' arcane and slow copyright related processes; right now three of my works are awaiting confirmation that I have the right to release editions of them- one of them was written in the 17th century. I already supplied this needed proof (since these are just re-edits of extant editions from 2015 and early 2016) when I first released them. In the case of the Grimorium Verum (one of my top sellers among edited works- I managed to sell 47 copies of it this month before it got suppressed awaiting confirmation) it has been in this gray area for five days now, since twice I have supplied proof it is a public domain work only to be told I somehow need a signed statement regarding permission to utilize it.

But, Amazon, I AM the one giving myself permission; the original work was ALSO mine! And I can't supply you the authors' name or date of death- the author is not known! (Clearly listed in the text and on the BISAC info) Since it dates to the middle of the 18th century the general assumption is the author "probably" died prior to the 1800s, let alone the 1920s cutoff for public domain status.

The use of createspace/amazon for self publishing remains exceptionally easy overall but this is one part of the process that needs a tweaking desperately.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings and salutations,

    Given the current status of your re-editing project, perhaps you might be interested in producing an introductory monograph on 'the press' as a concept and institution, with particular regard to the U.S. American Constitution, Twitter and President Donald J. Trump, and "legacy" vs. alternative media. Although your conceptual developments are noteworthy and insightful, they are spread throughout multiple YouTube commentaries. In order to breach the academic sphere of discourse, some sort of textual reference would be most beneficial. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete